OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. (October 16, 2018) — Former Congressmen Wes Watkins and Bill Brewster of the third congressional district announced today their endorsements of Kevin Stitt for governor:
Former Congressman Wes Watkins (CD-3) said, “My years in the United States Congress were dedicated to building jobs and the economy of Oklahoma. With the nation’s economy surging, now is a critical time for Oklahoma to elect a leader who can recruit growth and new opportunities to diversify our economy and build better jobs and a brighter future for us and our next generation. Kevin Stitt is the only candidate for governor who has built private sector jobs. He has the vision and high energy to make this happen for all of Oklahoma.
Watkins continued, “I greatly appreciate Kevin’s plans to recruit job creators to rural Oklahoma and that he will not leave behind any portion of our State. As a political outsider and a successful entrepreneur, Kevin is not beholden to the big lobbyists or big money groups. Kevin’s allegiance is to all four million Oklahomans, which is exactly the kind of leader Oklahoma needs. If we want to move our state forward and make Oklahoma a place where our kids and grandchildren want to stay, please join me in electing Kevin Stitt as Oklahoma’s next governor.”
Former Congressman Bill Brewster (CD-3) said, “Oklahoma is at a crossroads in this election cycle. We are destined to repeat history if we do not make serious change in our state government and in our political leadership. This crisis has been two decades in the making and it rest at the feet of both political parties. Kevin Stitt is the only political outsider in the race and the only candidate who has a plan to deliver accountability and transparency in how our state is spending our hard-earned tax dollars. As the founder of the Blue Dog Democrat Caucus in the U.S. House of Representatives, I can say first hand that Drew Edmondson is no moderate Democrat. Drew’s liberal tax and spend plan, with no reform in how state government is structured, will be a hard-left turn in Oklahoma’s future. I am proud to endorse Kevin Stitt, and I believe he is the best candidate to lead Oklahoma to a brighter, more prosperous future.”
- Preserving the agriculture sales tax exemption on inputs, which reflect market practices of surround states with similar exemptions.
- Diversifying our economy and placing an emphasis on recruiting businesses to Oklahoma that can add value to our commodities produced right here in Oklahoma.
- Becoming Top Ten in infrastructure and government efficiency, a goal which will include making sure our county officials have the resources they need to complete rural infrastructure projects.
- Improving access to rural healthcare by cutting government red tape, giving healthcare professionals more flexibility and recruiting doctors and nurses to rural areas.
- Protecting the 60% threshold for ad valorem tax bonds.
- Protecting private property rights and landowner’s rights.
- Protecting farmers and ranchers from out of state animal rights groups, as no one raises food and fiber better than Oklahoma’s agriculturists.